Monday, November 24, 2008

Coloring: Tony

So I decided to play around with Photoshop for a bit, as I just got a newer version. I attempted to color a pic of Tony Stark that I drew (not really based on Robert Downey Jr. even tho I luv him to death) Overall I think it turned out well and the technique is something I'd like to incorporate into more of my work. I was up against a few limitations, though: I don't have a wacom tablet, so there was a bit of fine tuning I couldn't really achieve, and in addition to doing this with a mouse I was doing it right handed, even though I'm left handed. I just thought I'd see what feedback I could get that might help me improve despite all that.


The final version. In the top pic I messed with a technique that sort of amps up reflected light.

Gettin' into the home stretch...

Boy those lips are lookin' pale... The eyes gave me a bit of trouble too.


Probably should've just stopped here lol...

Yeah I'll keep that hair after all....


Pretty much the bare basics. You can probably see how I worked up the detail from flat color.

This is the sketch underlaying all the color. I was amazed because the sketch wasn't really anything too fancy (actually there are some unresolved structural issues that gave me problems while I was coloring) but I was still able to make something fairly nice out of it!

So please help me out with critiques cuz I plan on doing this sort of thing more often.

3 Comments:

Blogger Art of Jared said...

You did this with your right hand?
Wow!
let me say that backwards.
Wow! You did that with the mouse?
I looked at the art first and thought it was pretty amazing already but then I read it and was like Wow!
Or as Joey might say Whoa!
I also like how you put your color pallet over to the side. That something that I didn't do in photoshop but I think I'll start now.
Its funny how you asked ME for coloring tips but Its me who gain some tips from you. keep up the good work.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Aaronphilby said...

Its cool to see the process. thanks for the comment on my blog, btw, but i accidentally rejected it.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Cease said...

I'm so lucky to have you to learn from.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home